Schoeps CMC 6 Microphone Amplifier Pair
Schoeps CMC 6 amplifier Pair in stock at Tidepool Audio
Schoeps microphone capsules are sold separately
The Schoeps CMC6 electrical properties have set new standards in terms of low distortion levels and common mode rejection (i.e. suppression of interference induced in the microphone cable).
- flat frequency response
- very low harmonic distortion and noise
- works with 12V and 48V phantom power
- balanced, low-impedance output
- high suppression of interference on the microphone cable
- excellent protection against high-frequency radio interference with "RFI Shield"
- frequency-independent impedance
- signal transmission possible over very long cables
- reliable operation even with weak phantom power
- symmetrical, transformer- and capacitor-free output stage with a class-A amplifier
- above 20 kHz, the signal is attenuated for protection against interference in the ultrasonic range, e.g. through the ultrasonic autofocus of a film camera
The capsules of condenser microphones can't be connected directly to microphone cables or inputs; a microphone amplifier is required in between. Thus a complete microphone of the Colette series comprises any of the twenty available types of capsules combined with an amplifier. The CMC 6 U is designed for standard 48- and 12-Volt phantom powering. Its circuitry recognizes the supply voltage and adjusts itself automatically. Its performance characteristics remain essentially the same either way; mainly, the difference is that the current drawn at 12 Volts is greater than at 48 Volts. However, the 12-Volt mode consumes less power and might be preferred for battery-powered recording.
The microphone amplifier is responsible for providing the necessary electric charge to the capsule, without which it would be unable to generate a signal. Since the capsule's output signal is very weak (Hi-Z), it must be amplified. In order for the microphone's output to cleanly reach the next stage in the signal chain, it must undergo balancing and impedance matching before transmission. The CMC 6 incorporates a balanced, direct-coupled class-A amplifier, yielding a low output impedance, high RF shielding, and minimal distortion.
Frequency range 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Sensitivity dependent on corresponding capsule
Maximum output voltage 1 V (0 dBV) with 1 kΩ load
Low cut filter 20 Hz, 12 dB/octave
Minimum recommended load impedance 1 kΩ
Maximum SPL (THD < 0.5%) with MK 4: 131 dB-SPL (P48, P12)
Output impedance 42 Ω
Maximum cable length > 400 m / ~1300ft
Schoeps RFI shield Yes
Powering standard / Valid range P48 / 20-52 volts, P12 / 10-13 volts
Current consumption 4 mA (P48), 8 mA (P12)
Common mode rejection (at 1 kHz) >60 dB
Output XLR-3M, analog, 1 channel
Surface finish matte gray