Cascade DR-2 Dual Ribbon Microphone
The Cascade DR-2 is a passive, dual-ribbon design with a symmetrical figure-of-8 pickup pattern. Unlike offset ribbon designs, this microphone produces equal (but out-of-phase) response from the front and back sides of the motor, making it useful as the “side” channel in a mid-side setup, or within a Blumlein array.
The ribbons are corrugated aluminum measuring 1.5'' in length and 0.15'' in width, mounted parallel 5/8'' apart. The design intent of using two ribbons is to increase sensitivity.
The ribbon motors are housed within a mesh grille. The mic provides no other screening or blast filtering, which likely has the benefit of reducing unwanted resonance but does expose the ribbon elements to contamination. The use of a pop filter when tracking vocals is recommended.
The frequency response is slightly elevated from 40Hz to 100Hz, flat through 4000Hz, and rolls off through 15,000Hz.
ALSO AVAILABLE WITH LUNDAHL LL2913 TRANSFORMER $399
Typcial Suggested Uses:
- Electric Guitars
- Drum Overheads
- Banjo, Mandolin, Dobro
- Type: Dual Ribbon (velocity) Microphone
- Ribbon type: 99% Pure aluminum, 2.0 micron
- Polar pattern: Figure 8 Symmetrical design
- Frequency Response: 25Hz to 9KHz
- Sensitivity: -56 db +/- 2 dB (0 dB=1V/Pa)
- Output Impedance: <=200 Ohms
- Recommended load impedance: >1000 Ohms
- Max.SPL (1% THD @1000 Hz): 135 dB
- Connector: 3-Pin male XLR
- DR-2 Dual Ribbon Microphone
- Microphone Clip
- Leatherette Storage Pouch